Welcome to the Governors' section!
Welcome to our website. I am Sarah Paxton and I am Chair Severn Primary School’s Governing Body.
In Wales, every state school has a Governing Body, consisting of specified numbers of various categories of governors depending on the type and size of school. Our Governing Body is made up of:-
- Parent Governors: parents (ideally of children at the school)
- Staff Governors: members of the school staff including the Head Teacher
- Local Education Authority( LEA) Governors nominated by the Local Authority
- Community Governors: members of the local community (appointed by the rest of the governing body)
What school governors do
School governors lead schools, they don’t manage them. They are there to give a strategic direction to how the school is run; to be critical friends to the school; and to ensure the school is accountable for its actions. Governors discuss and have input on:
- School policies, such as discipline, dress, sport, bullying and homework
- Long term plans and the future of the school ( School Development Plan)
- How the school budget will be spent ( Finances)
- How the school will try to reach performance targets ( School Improvement Plan)
- Drafting the annual report to parents
- Appointment and dismissal of staff including the Head Teacher
- Complaints from pupils, staff and parents
- Repair and maintenance of school buildings
- Use of school premises outside school hours
The Governing Body is lead by the chair who is elected from within its membership although anyone who works in the school can not be the chair. Governors are volunteers and usually serve for 4 years at a time.
A governor’s main task is to attend meetings of the school governing body. These normally take place once a term in the evening. Governors formally report to parents once a year in the annual report to parents. We are keen to hear from parents and friends of the school at anytime so please don’t hesitate to contact us via the website or at school.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Tel: 02920 317358